Wool Felt Pocket Handbag / Bird Felt Bag / Felt Shoulder Bag
This bird pocket bag is one of the collaboration works with Japanese illustrator, Toshiyuki Fukuda.
- The body (not including the handle) size:
height 14" x width 15.5" x gusset (bottom) 4-1/2"
(36cm x 39cm x 11.5cm)
- The handle is enough to be hooked on one's shoulder
- The "eyes" are wood buttons
- 2 (and very small 1) outer open pockets + 1 inner open pocket
- A magnetic closure on the opening of the bag
****The design story
One winter Toshiyuki visited my studio in Rovaniemi for writing his book and we hit it off well each other to start making new products. He has own textile brand, Tenp where he is creating unique textile works with artisans employing their experiences, skills and regional traditions, and this bag is now one of the collections.
Toshiyuki had the bird theme since the beginning and I tried to simplify, abstract, and make it practical as a felt bag. Working with him was very inspiring as I have never imagined to employ such KAWAII theme... the bird! It wouldn't come out from me alone :). He drew feathers In his idea sketch and I turned them into colourful pockets. One of the pockets may be too small but never mind ;). I am using a prototype of this bag for going to and from my studio, and I can organise my small things like my smart phone, keys and hand cream in the pockets that it's so handy.
****Specifications of design and materials:
- Made of 3mm-thick 100% wool *industrial felt from Germany.
- Colour: Oatmeal (body) + light brown (wings) + white, light brown, orange (pockets)
- The handle: length 17.5" (44cm).
- Weight: 0.93 lbs (0.42kg).
All items from Aika Felt Works are carefully packaged in new materials.
I will gift wrap this bag and send it in a cardboard box.
Spot clean only. Not machine washable. (The felt will shrink and you'll have a smaller bag.)
*Industrial wool felt
Industrial wool felt is a non-woven cloth that is produced by matting, condensing and pressing woolen fibers by machines. The surface is smooth, soft and comfortable, and the structure is dense and strong. Wool felt is an eco-friendly, biodegradable, natural material.